Homeopathy is a system of holistic healthcare that originated in Germany in the nineteenth century. Its founder, Samuel Hahnemann was a doctor who was a great experimenter and, over many years, discovered the principle of treating ‘like with like’ or the Law of Similars. The medicines used in homeopathy are called remedies. A classical homeopath, like myself, prescribes one remedy at a time, sufficient in strength to kick start the self-healing process.
Please refer to the very helpful FAQ section of the Homeopathy Research Institute (HRI) for further information.
- A homeopath spends quality time with you.
- It is non-invasive.
- It stimulates the individual’s immune system to become stronger, rather than relying on drugs to kill bacteria/viruses.
- The remedies used are not pharmaceuticals.
- It can be used by anyone at any age, including babies and the elderly.
- The remedies are non-toxic.
- No animals are used to test homeopathic remedies.
- It is palatable. Most children love sucking the wee tablets! There is no need to swallow the tablets with water.
- Children respond well to homeopathy.
- Homeopathy is not addictive.
I ask what kind of patient has the illness, rather than what kind of illness the patient has. I see the patient as a unique individual and I spend time exploring their life and reality to aid my understanding of what their symptoms are trying to express and what issues need to be addressed. Time is taken to get a detailed history including sleep patterns, appetite, thirst, weather preferences and personality profile. A remedy is then chosen to match as closely as possible the person being treated.
Listed below are some of the conditions that I have been asked to help with. At all times, I have treated the whole person, and not the disease:
- Respiratory problems such as recurrent colds, coughs, asthma, COPD
- Ear infections
- Skin conditions such as eczema, veruccas, molluscum
- Gastro-intestinal conditions such as Crohns Disease, IBS
- Bowel and digestive problems
- Cystitis, incontinence
- Allergies and food intolerances
- Arthritis and back pain
- Anxiety, depression, panic attacks, low self esteem
- Autistic spectrum disorders
- Behavioural problems in children
- PMS, menopause and hormonal imbalances
Homeopathy can also be used for conditions with no name, for conditions that do not respond well to drug treatment, for people on medication, and for traumas, past or present, physical or emotional.
What can homeopathy treat?
Since homeopathy treats the whole person, it does not matter what complaint you have. Anyone, from babies to the elderly can use homeopathy and it is very safe.
Do I have to believe in homeopathy for it to work?
No. I have treated sceptics with successful results! Babies, children and animals respond well to homeopathic treatment, and as far as I know, have no “beliefs”!
How long will the treatment take?
This will depend on the nature of your problem, and how long you have had it for. Long standing problems are likely to take longer than more recent problems.
How often would I need to see a homeopath?
In the beginning, every 4-6 weeks, with the intention to lengthen the gap between appointments as progress takes place.
What happens after taking a remedy?
The process of stimulating your immune system can lead to changes, for example, in your sleep and appetite, or changes in your energy output. Occasionally you can feel more tired or feel worse temporarily, before the beneficial effects begin. I am available for advice/support in between appointments if necessary.There are no side effects as remedies are not pharmaceutical drugs.